Press Kit: Story Ideas and One-Liners
Small Town Charm/Downtown Shopping
A great place to shop in a viable downtown with antique and boutique shops. Finding that special gift for any occasion is a treat. Enjoying a great lunch in one of our fine restaurants makes for a nice interlude during this fine day of shopping. Other activities to be enjoyed while visiting are guided walking and trolley tours from our Visitor Center, exhibits and handmade gifts from the Arts Council Gallery and a little peak in the Penelope Barker House Welcome Center former home of Penelope, organizer of the 1774 Edenton Tea party are a must.
Edenton is home to many fine inns within their historic district. These inns make a nice place for couples to enjoy a little R & R as well as a little romance. History, wonderful architecture and pretty gardens make the setting irresistible for leisurely walks, bike rides and little hand-holding.
Explore the Nooks & Crannies
Edenton Harbor not only can welcome overnight sailors but can also rent kayaks to want-to-be paddlers. Paddle our creeks, sound and rivers with wonderful wildlife and do not miss the Cannons Ferry Heritage River Walk where herring fishing played an important role in our community and is now a paddlers dream. Camping platforms on Holladay's and John's Island now give paddlers an opportunity for a little overnight adventure.
- Benjamin Franklin purchased cannons now nestled along the harbor while he was in France - Do you know where, why or when?
- Penelope Barker is known as the organizer of the Edenton Tea Party, earliest political action by women in the American colonies.
- James Iredell, who served as North Carolina 's Attorney General during the Revolutionary War was later appointed by George Washington to serve on the 1st US Supreme Court
- Home of the peanut butter for major candy maker.
- Two major boat builders: Albemarle - the Carolina Classic, and Regulator.